Friday, July 15, 2016

Are you a "Ladder"?

A few months ago I heard a leader recognizing his own leader and say:
"You need a Leader as a Ladder."
It struck me and I tweeted about it* and felt led to write about it too.



I decided to take it to heart and challenge myself to also be a ladder to those around me because I believe that a true leader is not someone who has followers or who is being followed. Rather, a true leader is someone who empowers others so they become leaders themselves - not necessarily by the position but by their passion.

I believe that we are each responsible for our personal and professional development however, it also means that w take the responsibility for asking for help. If/When you are a leader, you must be willing and able to help your "followers" up - that's exactly what ladders (and good leaders) do. 
I've also come to realize that some people don't necessarily want to advance in life. So what should a good leader do? Help the individual(s) become better and the best possible they can be at that preferred level.  

Robert H. Schuller said "Some people are at the top of the ladder, some are in the middle, still more are at the bottom, and a whole lot more don't even know there is a ladder." Once again, it's the leader's role and responsibility to show people the ladder and support them as they climb the ladder to the next level of self-development and/or advancement in the organization.

Reference:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Look inwards then step out...