Friday, January 1, 2016

L.e.a.d.e.r

Happy New Leap Year!!!


I want to spend the 1st Quarter of this Leap Year delving into the subject of Leadership because last year, God gave me quite a leaping opportunity.


The idea for this topic as a series came shortly after someone off the cuff asked me, "What do you think the attributes of a Good Leader are?" I didn't have much time to think about the question - so I truly made it up as I went. Since that conversation, I have refined it and use it in training/mentoring a pair of new leaders. Because I believe Leadership and leadership skills evolve and the individual experiences transformation, I'm using pictures of letters that include butterflies... you can become a beautiful Butterfly Leader and lead others to fly high. Let's start:


For me the "L" stands for Listener. If you want to be a good leader, you must be a good and active Listener. You must listen to what is being said as well as ALL that is not being said. You don't need to be a mind-reader to hear it all - you just need to be willing to be silent.
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth - and I'm sure He expects us to use it in the same proportion. If that wasn't the case, how else can you explain the fact that "SILENT" and  "LISTEN" use the exact same letters? Can you?
Now let's be careful not to assume that whenever someone silent they are listening but if you truly want to listen, be silent.


Another important aspect of listening is listening with your heart (i.e. with feeling aka being empathetic) & acting with your head (i.e. being firm/emphatic) in a caring way.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Look inwards then step out...